Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 24: Happy Birthday Kaylan!

I'm a few days late, but I wanted to dedicate today's blog post to my friend Kaylan! She had a birthday on Wednesday!

Kaylan is one of my closest friends from my hometown. We knew each other since kindergarten but became "best friends forever" in the 6th grade when we both bonded over our mutual love for Leonardo DiCaprio. (Titanic is still one of the greatest movies ever!) We passed notes back and forth in science class ("Kaylan Loves Leo") and exchanged [land line] phone numbers.



The above picture was from the 6th or 7th grade and, unfortunately, the only one of us when we were younger that I have available. I have many more embarrassing pics from our younger years, but right now I don't have a way to scan them. Maybe someday. So I'm the one on the left holding a teddy bear with cake on my face. Not sure why that's happening...anyway. Kaylan is across the table with the sweet braid dreadlocks. Such a trendsetter. Also I think she has cake on her finger, so that might be why I have it on my face. Those were probably the days that I was breaking up with boyfriends for her. If you look closely, you might be able to see gobs of roll-on body glitter. We went through that stuff like candy.

Then high school happened. Kaylan and I had countless sleepovers, phone conversations/girl talks, double dates, band/color guard memories, and inside jokes. Kaylan and I played soccer together and those were some of the best memories I have. We were also fortunate to have a close group of girlfriends and we had the best time in high school.

Kayla, Danielle, Kaylan, Darla, me, and Andrea: Senior Prom 2004
Darla, Becky, Kaylan, me, Andrea, and Danielle: SHS Graduation 2004
We parted ways for college and I only saw Kaylan on holiday breaks. But we made the most of it.

Christmas break, 2006 maybe?
When Kaylan graduated from college and I was starting grad school, she moved in with me in Springfield for a year to be closer to her boyfriend (now husband). Despite my never-ending stress from grad school, Kaylan and I became even closer as roommates. That was the fastest year that's ever gone by.

Apparently matching, HUGE sunglasses were a thing in 2009?
Kaylan moved to Arkansas with her boyfriend in 2009. Shortly afterwards, they got engaged.  I was lucky enough to be Kaylan's maid of honor in her wedding. My little friend from grade school, all grown up! So crazy.
 
Bachelorette Weekend 2011
 
 
September 2011
 
Kaylan and I continue to keep in touch. I miss her like crazy, especially when I just need a girlfriend. But I know she's only a phone call away and I will likely see her soon...
 

 
Happy Birthday Kaylan!

No comments:

Post a Comment