Sunday, June 30, 2013

Currently Reading: One Thousand White Women-The Journals of May Dodd


I've been taking my time reading my current classic, The Count of Monte Cristo. While I'm enjoying it, I just felt like I needed something easy and interesting to read as I've been more on-the-go recently. I found One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd at Target the other day and it sounded good.  It's a fictional novel set in the 1870s, narrated through the journal of a young woman who was committed to an insane asylum by her rich family. She left the asylum to participate in a secret government program in which one thousand "civilized" white women became the brides of Cheyenne warriors as a part of a peace treaty with the whites. I started reading it yesterday and only got through the first chapter, but I'm loving it. Side note: I've always been intrigued with Native Americans. I was an "Indian squaw" for Halloween three years in a row and I'd carry my baby dolls around in a papoose my mom made me.

I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment: