Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pinterest Project: Yarn Pom-Pom Bookmarks

Rather than do work on this rainy day, I opted to go to my parents' house and raid my mother's craft closet. I ran across some of her old yarn and remembered this project that's been on my to-do list basically since I've joined Pinterest.

Yarn Pom-Pom Bookmarks!


 
While I did take pictures to post as I was making these, I would highly suggest using the link above for directions if you want to make one yourself. :)
 
What you need: 
     *yarn
     *sharp scissors
 
Directions:
1) Measure out and cut a 15ish inch long strand of yarn (the bookmark tail) and an 8-10 inch strand (to go around your yarn loops later)
 
 
2) Grab your ball of yarn and hold the end piece like so:
 
 
 
3) Start wrapping the yarn furiously around your fingers (about 90 times for thin yarn, 50 times for thicker yarn). *Beware: the tips of your fingers will turn purple and go numb if you don't do this part fast enough.
 
 

 
4) Once you're done wrapping, carefully slide the yarn off your fingers and lay it (loops up and down) across the shorter strand you cut earlier.
 
 
 
5) Tie the string tightly around the ball (then I cut off the excess ends)
 
 
6)  I sort of skipped ahead on the pic above but then tie the longer strand to the  piece you just tied around the middle of the ball so it should look like this:
 
 
 
 
7) Then slide your scissours through the loops on each side and cut to make the pom-poms!
 
 
You will neeed to trim the yarn afterwards because it'll be uneven. The above picture is after a little trim. Just be careful not to cut off the bookmark tail!
 
Then enjoy!
 
These could probably be trimmed more, but I like them a little wild.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment