Thursday, June 6, 2013

Missouri Gems: Fox Theatre

The "Fabulous Fox Theatre" is one of my favorite places in St. Louis. This fabulous venue is home to several musicals and plays during each of their seasons. On the Fox's opening night in 1929, they showed a silent film. It was renovated in 1981 and, according to the Playbill information, has an ornate interior described as "Siamese Byzantine." That translates, to me, as gaudy. However, you can't help but feel a sense of grandeur about the place when you walk in.


 
 



 Last year I saw The Lion King at the Fox with my mom and brother for my mother's birthday. She enjoyed it so much that I decided to get her tickets to the Fox again for Mother's day. On Sunday we saw "Anything Goes." 


This musical was set back in 1939 on an ocean liner bound from New York to London. It was a bit of a love-triangle story: a stowaway named Billy disguises himself to be on board the ship to win over the girl he loves, Hope, who is engaged to a wealthy English lord; a nightclub singer is also on board who just happens to be in love with Billy. I particularly enjoyed the tap dancing sailors. :)

Some of the upcoming musicals at the Fox include Beauty and the Beast, A Christmas Carol, Mama Mia, and Elf. I especially want to go see Elf (Buddy the Elf! What's your favorite color?) Any takers?

Do you have any favorite plays, musicals, or venues?

No comments:

Post a Comment